Welcome to my website. I am always posting links to photo albums, art, technology and other creations. Everything that you will see on my numerous personal sites is powered by the formVistaTM Website Management Engine.


  • Subscribe to this RSS Feed
  • Setting Up Android SDK and Plugin in an Existing Install of Eclipse
    10/09/2013 4:25PM

    To set up an existing install of Eclipse to do some Android development do the following:

    • Go to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and look for and download the ADT bundle for your OS (in my case I was using Fedora Core 18 at the time)
    • Unpack it as the user that is going to be running Eclipse and/or after you unpack it make sure that your user has read/write/execute permissons for the files in this directory (obviously, you don't need execute permssion for non executables).  To make things easy, I just created an ~/sdks directory and unpacked it in there.
    • Fire up eclipse and go to Help/New Software.
    • Add the following repository: https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
    • Check off both the Developer Tools and NDK Plugins.
    • After those plugins install go to Window/Preferences/Android, and click the 'Browse' button next to 'SDK Location:', selecting the /path-to/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130917/sdk.  When setting this up you might get a dialogue box that indicates that the version of the Android SDK Tools and/or Android SDK Platform Tools is not compatible with the version of the adt-bundle you are attempting to use.  In my case, I was prompted to update it via the Android SDK Manager and was able to download an updated version.

    If you have an existing project that you are working with you might have to update the project.properties to update the sdk level number.

    You might see an error like:

    Unable to resolve target 'android-17' until the SDK is loaded

    If so, update the 'target=android-17' property in the project.properties file to match the value of 'Platform.MinPlatformToolsRev' in the /path-to/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130917/sdk/tools/source.properties file.

    In my case, I updated the project.properties to:

    # Project target.

    Getting the value '18' from the source.properties:


  • Showing Hidden Files and Folders Under Mac OSX
    10/09/2013 11:10AM

    By default the Mac hides a number of different Folder as well as any file or folder that starts with a "." character.

    To show all of these files/folders in the Finder open a terminal and enter teh following commands:

    $ defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

    $ killall Finder

    The Finder should restart and you should be able to see all of the files and folders on the machine.

  • Do Not Use Symlinks in Jetty's webapps Directory
    09/18/2013 4:07PM

    I set up a development instance of Jetty on my local machine and have been happily coding, compiling and deploying via a shell script.  The script copies the war from my user's target directory to the jetty users's home dir changes the permissions and then moves it to the /webapp dir creating a symlink to the name of the .war that is referenced in a number of config files.

    This was working just fine until I did a merge with another developers code and a significant portion of it changed that Jetty had problems determining whether or not is should dump it's local cache of .class files and configs and got into a very funky state.  Unfortunately, not one in which it was obviously funky, but where, all of the sudden I could not look up defined DataSources in JNDI.

    Ultimately, after looking through many other different things, I decided to delete the symlink and, rename the .war in the /webapps dir.

    Bingo, worked right away.

  • Getting Markdown Viewer To Display HTML Formatted Markdown Content in Firefox Under Linux
    09/16/2013 1:17PM

    I recently installed the Markdown Viewer 1.3 in Firefox 23.0 under Fedora Core  18.  When I went to open a .md file in the browser it prompted me to download it.

    To configure Firefox to display the markdown in the browser do the following:

    Edit the ~/.mozilla/firefox/*default/mimeTypes.rdf file.

    If there is not yet an existing RDF node for 'text/plain' add it, and add "md" as a file extension.

    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:text/plain"
            NC:description="Text Document">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:text/plain"/>

  • Internet Explorer Not Deleting Session Cookies
    09/06/2013 2:12PM

    If you are trying to delete session cookies, those cookies with an expires or max-age value of -1 or no value set for that property, in Internet Explorer, you will probably notice that deleting them from the controls in the browser, does not actually delete them.

    Evidently, the IE cookie implementation only writes persistent cookies to the file system and maintains the session cookies in RAM.  Moreover, when telling the browser to delete the cookies, it only deletes the cookies from the file system and does not delete them from RAM.

    To delete session cookies in IE, you will need to restart the browser.

Advanced Search