I’ve got a client that needs a site with a simple navigational program to be hosted under IIS with ASP.NET.
So, I put together IIS on a VMWare XP install and here’s the quick how-to:
1. Go to Add/Remove programs
2. Put the WinXP Pro install CD in the machine.
3. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components and click on the check box next to Internet Information Services (IIS)
4. After installation you should be able to open up a browser and type "localhost" and get the default welcome page.
5. If you get either a You are not authorized to view this page" or a user name and password prompt, make sure that the user account with which you are currently logged in has administrator rights and that you have a password set for that account.
6. Install .NET
7. Register .NET with IIS
Open a CMD window, change dir to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727(or whatever other version you are registering)
Run the following commands in sequence:
aspnet_regiis -s W3SVC/
8. Make sure to include the .aspx extension on your files and you should be all set to start developing .NET applications.