I was having some funky issues with Eclipse and m2e not properly reading the pom.xml and setting up the .classpath properly when importing an existing Maven project into Eclipse from a cloned git repo.
When I did the following:
- Go to File/Import/Maven/Existing Maven Projects
- Chose the root dir of the the existing directory
I got the following error:
An internal error occurred during: “Updating Maven Project”.
Unsupported IClasspathEntry kind=4
Initially, I solved it with a series of back-and-forth commands in both Eclipse and on the commandline to finally satisfy Eclipse that the dependencies were satisfied.
Thanks to the help of a friend I found a much easier process which enables me to cleanly clone, and import into Eclipse.
- Clone your git repo
- On the command-line in the same directory into which you cloned your source run:
- $ mvn eclipse:eclipse; mvn eclipse:clean
- Open Eclipse
- Select File/Import/Maven/Existing Maven Projects
- Browse to the directory into which you cloned your source and select that directory
- Click ‘Finish’ in the dialog box
You should now have your project in Eclipse without any compile/dependency errors.