- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 2 14%-ounce cans vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- 4 cup small pasta shells
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot margarine or butter till tender but not brown. Add vegetable, chicken, or beef broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta. Return to a boil. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or till pasta is al dente (tender bur still firm). Stir in undrained tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Heat through.
Just before serving, stir in fresh basil and thyme. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls. If desired, garnish with fresh basil.
Makes 4 servings.