Make 3 cups of cooked barley ahead of time and have it on hand when cooking the soup.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 leeks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced thin (1 cup)
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans,rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 ounces spinach, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, optional
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add oil, garlic, leeks, carrots, cabbage, and fennel; sauté for
about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Herbes, broth, beans, salt, and pepper. Bring to
simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon zest, spinach, and barley; cook until heated
- Garnish with parsley and feta.