- 1 small onion, chopped (4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 14-ounce can peeled Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil,crushed
- 8 ounces tofu, drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- A cup shredded Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- A teaspoon salt
- A teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
In a large saucepan cook the onion and garlic in hot oil till onion is tender but not brown. Add undrained tomatoes and oregano or basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, place tofu in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend till smooth. Add to tomato mixture. Stir in cooked rice, spinach, half of the Swiss cheese, salt, and pepper.
Grease 4 individual casseroles or one 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon mixture into casseroles.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 30 to 40 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with remaining
cheese and sesame seed.
Makes 4 servings.