A simple recipe for classic dumplings that can be added to any stew or soup that you would like.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sift flour
- Mix together dry ingredients
- Mix milk and oil into dry ingredients just enough for them to be combined. Over mixing will make the dumplings dense and tough
- Drop tablespoons worth of dough into simmering soup or stew and cook covered for about 10
→ Continue reading “Dumplings”
This is not as much a recipe for a mean in and of itself, but a recipe for how to prepare tofu cubes for a number of different dishes.
- N number of packages of extra firm tofu
- Seasonings of your choice
- A couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375 F.
- Drain and remove the tofu from its packaging and wrap in a clean kitchen towel. Place under a cutting board to remove
→ Continue reading “Baked Tofu Cubes”
My wife made these cookies and they were, by far, the best snickerdoodle cookies I’ve every had. The original recipe can be found here.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter
→ Continue reading “Snickerdoodle Cookies”
A recipe for a double-crust pie. See this post for the pie crust recipe.
- About 7 or 8 cups of chopped apples (I like to use sweet ones and then I can use less sugar)
- 1 cup sugar (or 1/2 if you have sweet apples)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or regular white vinegar
- 1/4 cup citrus juice (apple, orange, etc).
→ Continue reading “Apple Pie”
The egg whites folded into the mix make it a more fluffy and less dense pie. A wonderful treat! A recipe for a single-crust pie. See this post for the pie crust recipe.
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 or 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Take the butter out of the fridge to let it come to room temp
- You can either peel and boil the
→ Continue reading “Sweet Potato Pie”
Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 2 hours; Total: 2 hours 20 minutes; 8 Servings
- 3 15oz. cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz. can green chilis
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place everything in a slow cooker, mix well, and cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring
→ Continue reading “Crock Pot Black Bean Soup”